Gossip and hype

Whenever you feel like talking about something else, there's always the off-topic forum
michael_philipp

Gossip and hype

Post by michael_philipp »

Okay, in the privacy of this public forum:

1. What does j.a.m.o.v.i stand for? My students will ask me, and if there is no official statement from the developers, I'll just make something up.

2. What are the key priorities for the development of jamovi that (you see) as different from JASP. At first glance my impression is that JASP is prioritising stats education (and Baysian evangelism) where jamovi is aiming to cater to researchers?

3. Framed another way, long-term do you think jamovi and JASP are headed for similar functionality, or do you think they'll diverge such that I'll always have both installed on my computer?

Regardless, I'm loving the R syntax, and thanks for your work!
jonathon

Re: Gossip and hype

Post by jonathon »

hi michael!

thanks for getting in touch.
What does j.a.m.o.v.i stand for?
damo, our resident poet writes:
jamovi is not an acronym and is most definitely always lowercase. We don't follow in the path of the applications that have gone before and that starts with our name. Not only does jamovi find a niche in the world of words but more importantly as a platform in the scientific and education communities. Clean, easy, distinct, helpful, jamovi means what you feel when you use it. There may very well be more to the name, but sometimes mysteries are fun.
(seriously, he just wrote this 5 second ago).
What are the key priorities for the development of jamovi that (you see) as different from JASP?
ah, this is where it gets tricky, and i don't want to put words in the JASP guy's mouths. but yes, the Bayes factor angle is arguably JASP's central goal, where as it is just one of a number of competing philosophies to us (albeit an important one!).

i would say we're just as committed to stats education, and part of this is being suitable for researchers: we don't want students to learn something they can't then go on to use in research.

another big emphasis for us, is allowing anyone to publish analyses, so developing the jamovi store and the developer hub have been top priorities. expect to see a number of jamovi modules from other researchers arriving in the coming weeks/months.
long-term do you think jamovi and JASP are headed for similar functionality?
in the future we'll certainly provide Bayesian methods, so you should see a convergence in that space. but in general terms, the platforms are being developed by different teams, and which platform you like will depend on which design philosophy you prefer. an example is data-editing, where we're providing spreadsheet like editing in jamovi, where as the JASP guys are working on integrating with existing spreadsheet software; so (as i understand it) JASP will hook into excel, people will edit their data in excel, and click 'sync to JASP' (or something like that). no doubt, some people will prefer the latter, and some people will prefer our approach.

having said all that, the pace of jamovi development is difficult to ignore.

cheers

jonathon
Tinsara

Post by Tinsara »

What does j.a.m.o.v.i stand for?
dropmann

Post by dropmann »

Hi! As was written above
jamovi is not an acronym and is most definitely always lowercase. We don't follow in the path of the applications that have gone before and that starts with our name. Not only does jamovi find a niche in the world of words but more importantly as a platform in the scientific and education communities. Clean, easy, distinct, helpful, jamovi means what you feel when you use it. There may very well be more to the name, but sometimes mysteries are fun.
mcfanda@gmail.com

Post by mcfanda@gmail.com »

Hi,
do you happen to remember the font family of the jamovi logo. I'm updating the GAMLj docs and it would be nice to write jamovi always with the same fonts of the logo
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Yes @dropmann, would like to know that as well :stuck_out_tongue:
dropmann

Post by dropmann »

Our logo was a custom design and there is no associated font. There are a few similar fonts however their licenses are unhelpful. I will try and make a font using our logo and get back to you.
mcfanda@gmail.com

Post by mcfanda@gmail.com »

:)
DrDave

Post by DrDave »

Wow. An awesome dev team and a resident poet. You guys have it all!