IQR interquartile range

Discuss statistics related things
ste

IQR interquartile range

Post by ste »

Hello!

I am new to statistics and I was wondering if you could help me.

I have collected weight and height of 80 people, those have performed a test twice. This mean, I have two final scores for each person (160 scores).
With jamovi I got the IQR of weight and height, and I need to understand if these variables could impact the scores. This mean I have to find evidence against the null hypothesis by percentile (25th, 50th, 75th) comparing the scores by height and weight and BMI.

How do I proceed?

Thanks for your support ;)
Ravi

Re: IQR interquartile range

Post by Ravi »

Hi,

I'm not completely sure what you want to do with the IQR. Could you elaborate on this sentence:
This mean I have to find evidence against the null hypothesis by percentile (25th, 50th, 75th) comparing the scores by height and weight and BMI.
Cheers,
Ravi
ste

Post by ste »

Ravi wrote:Hi,

I'm not completely sure what you want to do with the IQR. Could you elaborate on this sentence:
This mean I have to find evidence against the null hypothesis by percentile (25th, 50th, 75th) comparing the scores by height and weight and BMI.
Cheers,
Ravi

Yes, sure!

80 people performed resuscitation manoeuvres on a mannequin. The mannequin elaborates some data such as mean rate (frequency) and mean depth of chest compressions.

In different publications, weight, height and BMI are characteristics able to impact the performance. This is why it's necessary to compare the results (such as mean depth and mean rate) by weight, height and BMI. Weight and height (as BMI) are grouped into IQR and than compared with scores.

You can check out this article: Contri E, Cornare S "Complete chest recoil during laypersons' CPR: Is it a matter of weight?" American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2017
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 10.17.15.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 10.17.15.png (75.23 KiB) Viewed 25117 times
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Hmm, I wonder why you would want to split your continuous variables into 4 quartile groups and then do separate ANOVA's for each predictor. I might be missing something, but this seems more like a multiple regression to me with weight, height, and BMI as covariates.
Ravi

Post by Ravi »

Nonetheless, if you want to do this you have to use computed variables at the moment (we are finishing up an easier way to recode variables but it's not completely finished yet). Here's a blog post about computed variables: https://blog.jamovi.org/2017/11/28/jamovi-formulas.html.

You need to use a series of IF statements to recode the continuous variables into quartile labels as follows:
Screenshot from 2018-09-04 11-14-13.png
Screenshot from 2018-09-04 11-14-13.png (41.49 KiB) Viewed 25104 times
So you have to use the values you get from the descriptives to recode your variable. Here's the example code:

Code: Select all

IF(x1 < 4.17, 'Q1', 
IF(x1 < 5.00, 'Q2', 
IF(x1 < 5.67, 'Q3', 'Q4')))
Hope this will help you.
ste

Post by ste »

Ravi wrote:Nonetheless, if you want to do this you have to use computed variables at the moment (we are finishing up an easier way to recode variables but it's not completely finished yet). Here's a blog post about computed variables: https://blog.jamovi.org/2017/11/28/jamovi-formulas.html.

You need to use a series of IF statements to recode the continuous variables into quartile labels as follows:
Screenshot from 2018-09-04 11-14-13.png
So you have to use the values you get from the descriptives to recode your variable. Here's the example code:

Code: Select all

IF(x1 < 4.17, 'Q1', 
IF(x1 < 5.00, 'Q2', 
IF(x1 < 5.67, 'Q3', 'Q4')))
Hope this will help you.

I chose jamovi over R for this reason :thinking:

anyway, I'll try! thanks! ;)
elonjigar

Post by elonjigar »

Any set of data can be described by its five-number summary. These five numbers, which give you the information you need to find patterns and outliers, consist of (in ascending order). The minimum or lowest value of the dataset The first quartile Q1, which represents a quarter of the way through the list of all data The median of the data set, which represents the midpoint of the whole list of data The third quartile Q3, which represents three-quarters of the way through the list of all data The maximum or highest value of the data set.

IQR = Q3 - Q1. The interquartile range shows how the data is spread about the median. It is less susceptible than the range to outliers and can, therefore, be more helpful.

http://net-informations.com/ds/psa/iqr.htm