Jamovi opens blank

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
jstew707

Jamovi opens blank

Post by jstew707 »

I've attempted to download, uninstall, and re-download Jamovi three times and each time when I open the program it opens but looks blank. There are almost no menu items populating across the ribbon and there is no excel sheet in which I can begin entering information. Could this be a problem with my firewalls preventing necessary sub-programs from downloading/running?

Thanks!
jonathon

Re: Jamovi opens blank

Post by jonathon »

hi yes, that's possible.

when jamovi starts up, it opens three ports, and then the jamovi ui connects to these - everything coming up blank is consistent with it not being able to connect to these ports. if you run jamovi in debug mode (i assume you're on windows, you'll find 'jamovi debug' in the start menus), it will tell you the three ports it is opening.

try poking a hole in your firewalls, and see if that fixes it.

cheers

jonathon
JeremieArcioni

Post by JeremieArcioni »

Hi
It seems I have the same problem. Jamovi opens blank (without the sheet) and says " Unable to open".
I’ve tried the stable version (9.2.6) and current (9.4.2) same problems happen. I tried to turn off my firewalls but it did not help.
Below are the logs of my command line when I run jamovi in debug.

Kind regards,

C:\Program Files\jamovi 0.9.2.6\bin>
jamovi
version: 0.0.0
cli: 0.0.0

ports: 2016, 2017, 2018

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 467, in _on_open
File "jamovi\core.pyx", line 632, in jamovi.core.MemoryMap.create
RuntimeError

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 467, in _on_open
File "jamovi\core.pyx", line 632, in jamovi.core.MemoryMap.create
RuntimeError
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi jeremie,

yours is a bit different and looks like a shared memory issue. these i've seen in other software projects i've been involved with over the years, but i've never found a solution. we request a shared memory segment from windows, and it fails ... with no explanation, or meaningful error code, nothing. it's been a thorn in my side for years.

fortunately, it only affects a tiny proportion of users, unfortunately that happens to be you. :/

development of the web-based version of jamovi is coming along nicely, which will be a useable alternative for you, but it's still a couple of months away.

sorry i don't have better news

jonathon
JeremieArcioni

Post by JeremieArcioni »

Hi Jonathan,

Is there a way to install a previous version ?? The one I had before was working fine ! It is just from yesterday when I did the update. I am really bothered because I need to use Jamovi right now.

Regards,

Jérémie
dropmann

Post by dropmann »

You can get access to previous version with this link, just change the version in the url to match the one you are after.

https://www.jamovi.org/downloads/jamovi ... -win64.exe
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi Jérémie,

do you recall what version you were previously using? the fact that an earlier version *was* working, and the newer version *doesn't work* is very surprising.

if you can confirm you can install an older version, and it begins working again, that would be very helpful (and puzzling for me).

with thanks
JeremieArcioni

Post by JeremieArcioni »

Hi Jo,

I cannot remember what version it was. I tried to look for it, but to no avail.
I just tried the older version (0.9.1.12) but it doens't work. Still the same issue and the same bottom right message "Unable to open" + Blank sheet. It seems like any version won't work on my computer somehow.
This is really strange, because indeed the previous version I had on my laptop was working fine, and the previous versions as well.
Regards
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh right, so let's try an earlier version then:

https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/releas ... -win64.exe

i suspect that something else has changed about your computer, and no older version will work now, but let's at least give this a shot.

with thanks

jonathon
JeremieArcioni

Post by JeremieArcioni »

I just tried it. Still the exact same issue.
It is really weird because nothing has changed on my compuer ! It is exactly the same as it was in June ( last time I used Jamovi).
This is out of my comprehension haha.