[RESOLVED] the jamovi server could not be started,...

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
Folax

[RESOLVED] the jamovi server could not be started,...

Post by Folax »

Dear Jamovi Team,

First, I'd like to thank your team for the job done on Jamovi. It is so good that we decided to use it in our statistical courses and feel like it fits with the aim of the teaching.

I just purchased a new laptop (Windows 10) and, after a successful installation, I received the following frightening message "Unfortunately, the jamovi server could not be started, and jamovi must now close. We regret the inconvenience. Please report your experiences to the jamovi team".

I saw that another guy experienced this on linux and, apparently, you found a solution. Did you hear of other people experiencing it with Windows ?

I imagine some of our students will experience the same and I hope we can find a solution. I will try answering quickly if you have questions.

Best regards,
Folax

PS: I tried with solid, with current, and with the zip version. Same output everytime
jonathon

Re: Unfortunately, the jamovi server could not be started,..

Post by jonathon »

hi folax,

yes, it's an issue which affects a very small number of computers, < .1% is my current estimate.

because it's so rare, i haven't been able to get to get access to a computer which has the issue, so haven't been able to fix it.

it's not uncommon for a software project to find that one's software won't work on a small number of (usually windows) machines, and it's not really clear why.

all this to say, it sucks that it doesn't work on your computer, i'm super-keen to get to the bottom of it, but so far haven't been able to, but it's unlikely that this will be a problem amongst your students. i'm in touch with a lot of people using jamovi in their courses, and this hasn't come forward as an issue.

just to double-check it's not something obvious, could you run jamovi in debug mode? (you'll find the option in the start menu). see if there's any useful error messages.

with thanks

jonathon
Folax

Post by Folax »

Hi Jonathon,
Thanks for your answer. I receive the same message in debug mode.
Thursday we will have a nice sample of 250 installations, maybe with 40% on Windows. I'll tell you if your 0.1% is a correct estimation then.
If you have any idea how to get debug it, I am willing to be your tester.
Best,
Folax
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

I'll tell you if your 0.1% is a correct estimation then.
this is actually a pretty good stats exercise question... "a software developer claims that ..."

kind regards
dropmann

Post by dropmann »

Hi Folax,

Just to determine the different ways we might be able to get to the bottom of your issue, do you mind me asking where in the world you are located? Just making sure you're not just down the road.

kind regards
Folax

Post by Folax »

Hi dropmann,
I'm in Lausanne, Switzerland. I sent you a private message contact at jamovi. If we eventually come to a solution I would describe it here.
Best,
Folax
matej

Post by matej »

Hi everyone,

is there any new information regarding this issue?
we are using jamovi in two courses - approx 140 students altogether and one has encountered this error (maybe more, we will see next Monday :) ).
system info from the one computer are attached.

M.
Attachments
system.jpg
system.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 8891 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi,

sorry, no progress. it's a very obscure bug, which affects very few people, and we haven't been able to get to the bottom of it. it does seem to occur on very low-spec hardware however. and it looks to be a bug in windows itself. :/

jonathon
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

will be fixed in a subsequent release. in the mean time there's this.

https://www.jamovi.org/downloads/jamovi ... 4-py37.exe

jonathon
Folax

Re: [RESOLVED] the jamovi server could not be started,...

Post by Folax »

Thank you Jonathon for your work.