Roadmap for 2018

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
RHainez

Roadmap for 2018

Post by RHainez »

Hi,

The end of 2017 is upon us and I was wondering if it could be possible that you share with us the guidelines about the development of jamovi for the next year? So that we could get a feel of the general directions jamovi will take.

And I wish you all a merry Xmas :)

Keep up the good work
jonathon

Re: Roadmap for 2018

Post by jonathon »

that is a good idea. let me discuss it with the team, and we'll see what we can come up with.

it's always been my goal to provide a clear roadmap.

cheers

jonathon
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Hi Jonothon,

So, did you get the opportunity to discuss about this with the team?

Have a nice day :)
superyms

Post by superyms »

hi

beside a clear roadmap, i hope you would let us (for those who could/would help) to participate for non-development activities too, such as news writing, blog, documentation, translation in other languages (I can do it for French and Arabic), ...

I mean by that more open sourcing the whole actions around JAMOVI :grinning:

It could help you focusing more on dev stuff when others could contribute and manage other things with/for you, for Jamovi.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hey rhainez, yes! thanks for chasing this up. here's our roadmap so far. give me a few more days, and we'll publish it on our website:

now

- advanced formulas

allows the expression of more complex formulas, i.e. if statements, etc.
this is in the current release, but i'm going to tweak it a bit more.

mid feb

- binary logistic regression

w00t! this is *really* nice.

late feb

- linear regression redux
- filtering

we want to apply the lessons learned/ui developed from the binary logistic regression *back* to linear regression.

filtering allows the whole data set to be filtered according to criteria. i.e. excluding partipants with scores more than 3 standard deviations from the mean, excluding participants who score below chance, excluding males, etc.

mid march

- spss import
- multinomial logistic regression
- log-linear regression

late march

- recoding

recoding allows for recoding variables from one type to another. it's not *that* different to computed variables, but it's a more expressive, purpose built ui.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi supersyms,

yes, we'd welcome contributions in documentation, blog posts, etc.

feel free to drop us a line at contact at jamovi.org, if you've got some things in mind.

cheers

jonathon
RHainez

Post by RHainez »

Thank you very much for this detailed and ambitious schedule. It seems very interesting.
I especially look forward to play with the filtering option :) Do you also plan to add this feature to other analysis like t-tests or Anovas as well?

Keep up the good work!
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yup, so filtering will apply to the data set as a whole. so *all* analyses will be able to take advantage of it.

it's intended for things like, 'exclude all participants with scores more than 3 standard deviations from the mean', or 'exclude participants who's performance is below chance". where you want to exclude them from *every* analysis.

if you want to filter some things for *just one* analysis, (and not all) the improved formulas in compute variable are what you want. i.e. you might create a column called `only males` with the formula:

=FILTER(group, group == 'Male')

i've been meaning to update the user guide about this.

jonathon
scroon

Post by scroon »

Just kickstarting this - I'm trying to plan for teaching with Jamovi for 2019, semester 1 and want to write my workbook around it - do you have a timeframe for a 1.0 release or would you recommend working to the 0.9.5 ?

<cheeky> I love the concept of jmv syntax so I really wouldn't hate to be able to integrate that in....</cheeky>
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

yeah, work to the 0.9.5 for now. as we solidify for the 1.0, there won't be any dramatic changes.

cheers