Can't Get Jamovi to Start At All

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
writergirlx22

Can't Get Jamovi to Start At All

Post by writergirlx22 »

Hello,

I am a windows user, attempting to use Jamovi on my laptop. I have tried a couple of things to get it to work, but to no avail.

I have the program installed, the most recent stable version, and I've double checked that it is the windows version. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it to see if it would fix my problem and it would not.

For some reason, it is extremely slow to start, and it gives me a little message that says "why is startup slow?" and when I click on the link it takes me to a page that does not exist and tells me there is a 404 error.

After about five minutes, the program finally loads, but it has an error message that says it was unable to connect to the server. It then says that there is an error and Jamovi must close.

I have thought that my laptop computer may have some wireless card issues in the past, so I have now tried this with just my built in wireless card, and wireless USB as well, and this did not help the problem.

I am attempting to use this program for school with our lab advisor/another graduate teaching assistant so I have been very frustrated because I am not able to get it to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
jonathon

Re: Can't Get Jamovi to Start At All

Post by jonathon »

hi,

slow start ups are almost always caused by anti-virus/security products. try starting jamovi a second time, and it should start up more quickly. (the virus scanner will have checked all the files the first time, and won't need to check them all a second time). if it's still slow, try disabling the virus scanner, and see if that fixes it.

it's possible that the very slow start-up leads to the server timing out ("unable to connect to the server"), see if it succeeds if you start it a second time.

it's also possible that there's just something freakishly wrong with your computer. i estimate about 1 in 500 windows computers just misbehave, and you may be unfortunate enough to have one of these. if you try a different computer, it will certainly work correctly.

jonathon
writergirlx22

Re: Can't Get Jamovi to Start At All

Post by writergirlx22 »

Just wanted to let you know that I think my computer is just misbehaving. I have tried most of the things you suggested (outside of attempting to start it again with the wireless card), and it still will not start.

Thanks!