all variables from csv importing into 1 column

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
buellresearch

all variables from csv importing into 1 column

Post by buellresearch »

I've been trying to import a certain .csv into Jamovi but not having much success. This is a listing of all Academy Awards nominees from 1927 to 2017, with over 11,000 rows but only 4 columns (year, category, winner, entity), and under 750kb. The source file is available at https://datahub.io/rufuspollock/oscars- ... r/data.csv. There are characters in some 4th-column cells that are evidently messing up the import, but I haven't been able to figure out what those are.

Stripping out double-quotes throughout all rows of the 4th column lets me add in some dozens or hundreds of rows, but it still breaks when I include others, so there must be additional problematic characters in some rows that I haven't found yet. Any suggestions for how I can clean up the file so it will import successfully?

I'm just getting started with Jamovi but already feeling more comfortable with than any other stats software I've ever used, thanks both to the superb interface and feature set, and to Barton Poulson's excellent online course (available at LinkedIn Learning and for free at his own datalab.cc site - couldn't resist the plug).

Thanks!
Jim
jonathon

Re: all variables from csv importing into 1 column

Post by jonathon »

hi jim,

yeah, this is a tricky .csv file. there's a number of things about it that can trick a .csv format auto-detecting algorithm into making a wrong determination.

excel seems to handle it correctly though, although it looks as though libreoffice doesn't get it exactly right. so what i've done here, is simply pasted the values from excel straight into jamovi. i've exported a .csv file of it here which you can use:
data.csv
(806.93 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
i'll look into ways we can improve the detection.

cheers, and thanks for reporting.
buellresearch

Post by buellresearch »

Beautiful. Thank you so much jonathon! I hadn't realized direct pasting from Excel was possible - good to learn! Also happy to report I've dropped a few bucks in the Jamovi tip jar just now. Hoping to bring my contribs up to at least the cost of an SPSS license, even if just a bit at a time :-).
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

haha, thanks jim.

cheers

jonathon