Feature request: create new variable in Reliability Analysis

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
Wake

Feature request: create new variable in Reliability Analysis

Post by Wake »

Reliability Analysis is on the face of it much better than the SPSS version. I especially love the ability to note which variables are reverse scaled rather than having to recode them separately. However, the benefit of this feature is diminished when the user realises that they still need to recode the variables and compute the average in order to create the scale variable, the mean and standard deviation of which jamovi can already tell them.

Also, while I prefer the mean, some standardised instruments ask for the sum instead so it would be great if:

1) There was a text box where the name of the computed variable could be entered.

2) There was a check box to allow the sum to be used instead of the mean. The scale statistics should, of course, then reflect the sum rather than mean if this option is chosen.

3) I'm not sure what the current behaviour is for missing values, but it might be that the mean should be the mean of the available values, but the sum should impute the mean across participants for any holes in the data.

4) One final option would be to switch to using Z scores instead of raw scores. I don't often use this, but recommend it if some items have different response categories -- though I also recommend avoiding this situation.

Cheers,

Wake
Wake

Re: Feature request: create new variable in Reliability Anal

Post by Wake »

As an addendum to this, I just tried to compute the new variable for the scale I am working on and while the two reversals were fairly painless, I seem to be need to type all the variable names into the formula text box without an option to drag, or select the existing variable names. This is especially frustrating because I'd just renamed all the variables to give them meaningful names.

What would be ideal would be if, when highlighting a set of variables, one could right-click to copy the variable names and they pasted as comma separated values -- whether into a formula text box or into Excel.

This would neatly fit with being able to go the other way, pasting from tab or comma separated values into the names of a set of highlighted variables.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi wake,

the fx button doesn't do what you need?
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 17.30.05.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 17.30.05.png (65.53 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
cheers

jonathon
Wake

Post by Wake »

Sorry -- that one's my bad. I think I even clicked the fx button but didn't register the variable list.

Cheers,

Wake