Can't Access Files

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
pennefather

Can't Access Files

Post by pennefather »

Hello,
I have just downloaded Jamovi and can't browse my files to open datasets. When I click the browse key I get the following errors:

index.js:122 Uncaught TypeError: Arguments to path.join must be strings
at file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:42801:13
at Array.filter (native)
at filter (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:42888:30)
at Object.exports.join (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:42799:28)
at child.tryBrowse (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:1342:120)
at triggerEvents (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:20444:58)
at triggerApi (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:20428:19)
at eventsApi (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:20227:16)
at child.Events.trigger (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:20418:5)
at child.requestBrowse (file:///C:/Program%20Files/jamovi%200.9.6.9/Resources/jamovi/client/main.js:411:14)
jonathon

Re: Can't Access Files

Post by jonathon »

hi,

is there any error displayed *before* you click browse? for example, in the following screenshot you can see the list of files before i click browse. is there anything listed there?

with thanks
Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 09.22.44.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 09.22.44.png (58.55 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

another one, can you run jamovi at the terminal and see if there's any error output?

you'll find `jamovi debug` in your windows start menu. this brings up a terminal, and you can run jamovi with the command `jamovi`.

with thanks
pennefather

Post by pennefather »

Hi Jonathon,
Nothing shows in the files, just the browse button and text saying "No recognized data files were found".

I ran from terminal and no errors until I navigated to open then these errors:

local variable 'abs_path' referenced before assignment
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 250, in _on_fs_request
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 107, in _normalise_path
File "jamovi\core.pyx", line 639, in jamovi.core.Dirs.documents_dir
RuntimeError: Could not retrieve documents directory(-2147024893)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\clientconnection.py", line 63, in on_message_async
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 232, in on_request
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 408, in _on_fs_request
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'abs_path' referenced before assignment

Then I clicked on local PC and these errors:

local variable 'abs_path' referenced before assignment
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 250, in _on_fs_request
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 107, in _normalise_path
File "jamovi\core.pyx", line 639, in jamovi.core.Dirs.documents_dir
RuntimeError: Could not retrieve documents directory(-2147024893)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\clientconnection.py", line 63, in on_message_async
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 232, in on_request
File "jamovi\Resources\jamovi\server\jamovi\server\instance.py", line 408, in _on_fs_request
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'abs_path' referenced before assignment
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

thanks @pennefather,

so when you begin browsing, jamovi requests your 'Documents' folder from windows. this is throwing an error. do you know why this might be? this is a very standard operation, and expected to work. is there something unusual about your computer? you don't have an official 'Documents' folder?

so this throws an error, and jamovi should have the fallback behaviour that it throws you back to the root file system (C:/, etc.) however there's a bug in this, which is why it isn't working. i'll push a fix, which will come in the next version.

but even after the fix, the behaviour will be a little strange on your computer, due to the 'Documents' issue, but you'll at least be able to navigate to the location of your files, etc.

cheers

jonathon
pennefather

Post by pennefather »

Thanks Jonathon. It is likely the way IT has set up our internal server system. I will check with them about a solution on our end. Thanks again.