Pleasing ASMR- or shivering-like sensation with Jamovi

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
DaniMori

Pleasing ASMR- or shivering-like sensation with Jamovi

Post by DaniMori »

Hi, this is my first message on this forum and may seem a bit off-topic, but I think it's worth discussing nevertheless, no matter how crazy or far-fetched it may seem.

The thing is that a few days ago I installed and tried the Jamovi interface, almost for the first time (I tried it long ago but didn't care too much). This time, however, my experience when just interacting with the interface was so pleasing (I felt a little shiver down the cervicals, not sure if it was more like a cold chill or an ASMR sensation) that I rushed to this forum (as much as my spam folder allowed me, anyway) to share my experience. I don't know what it is exactly: maybe the soft, pleasing colors, the easy to read fonts, the animated sliding transitions among interface elements, or a combination of all those, but the thing is that anytime I use it I feel that the experience (although not so intense as that almost-first time) is extremely pleasing and relaxing.

I assume many people will find this stupid, and I'm sure you have your motives. However, even if you do, just try to take a step back and think about how many students at their first years of college have to confront the experience of facing an interface like SPSS or Stata for the first time. Don't you think that, maybe, an affectively positive experience in every possible way would help those students enthusiastically embrace statistics more easily? In my experience, most of my former university colleagues have never been willing to put a minimum effort into learning statistics because, well, it's a topic hard enough at first sight without the need to make it harder with an unfriendly software interface. Probably having such an emotional response as an ASMR or anything similar is unlikely, but nevertheless I think that most people would feel a much more positive affective response with the Jamovi interface than with the usual alternatives.

These are just a few thoughts that may have no consequences at all. But my intuition tells me that, somehow, promoting the use of Jamovi as a first-approach statistical software may help many students overcome some of their resistance towards statistics and data analysis.
jonathon

Re: Pleasing ASMR- or shivering-like sensation with Jamovi

Post by jonathon »

haha, yup :)