Importing semicolon separated .csv files ?

Everything related to development of the jamovi platform
Pav

Importing semicolon separated .csv files ?

Post by Pav »

Hi everyone,

I teach statistics to undergraduate sociology students in France, and I'm assessing Jamovi as a potential teaching software for the faculty to switch to.

I've been struggling with .csv files. We often use semicolon ( ; ) separated .csv, unfortunately Jamovi can't open these. It puzzles me because R supports both comma-separated and semicolon separated .csv (with read.csv2() function).

It's very difficult to convert these two types of .csv properly without a powerfull software like R (I've done many unsuccessful attempts with Excel, Calc and Numbers), but we can't ask this kind of data manipulation to our students.

I'm wondering if the support of semicolon .csv is scheduled for the future of Jamovi, or if someone else has already solved this problem with a module or something even simpler I would haved missed…

Thanks for your time ! :-)

Pav
jonathon

Re: Importing semicolon separated .csv files ?

Post by jonathon »

hi pav,

attach a semi-colon separated file here, and i'll see what's going on.

as a workaround, simply open your file in a text editor and do a find and replace on the semicolons.

jonathon
Pav

Post by Pav »

I've tried that also, it's not ideal for large files. Moreover it's not ideal at all for students.

Also, before replacing semicolons by commas, you have to replace commas (used to separate decimals in most Europe countries…) by points ( . ). It's not very handy, to say the least.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

sure. well provide us with a file which has this issue and we'll take a look.

taking a quick look, it looks like jamovi does handle semi-colon separated files, so there's something else going on with these files.

jonathon
Pav

Post by Pav »

Thanks for your answer.

I can't attach the dataset I'm struggling with at the moment, it contains names. Here is a screenshot of the Jamovi render of the dataset converted in semicolon csv by excel or calc (same result). https://ibb.co/vQRPCRQ

After several research, I was sure that the support of semicolon was the issue (I must have read some outdated or erronous information). So the issue must come from this particular data file

Sorry for your trouble !