Copy/paste with column headers

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
RHainez

Copy/paste with column headers

Post by RHainez »

Hi,

I was wondering if when selecting datas from a file with the column headers and to copy it into jamovi, it was possible that jamovi identify the headers and put it at their right place? A kind of header=TRUE function.
I did not find the trick so far.

Have a nice day :D
jonathon

Re: Copy/paste with column headers

Post by jonathon »

yeah, this is a really good idea. but tricky to do well.

we need to create some sort of 'paste special'. you suggest really good ideas romaric, but they're never things that are easy! and i feel like i'm always saying "yeah, we'll get to that eventually".

feel free to create an issue so i don't forget about it (and chase me up about it from time to time).

with thanks

jonathon
bbreeze25

Post by bbreeze25 »

thank you for a wonderful software - i just started exploring its capabilities.
i concur on this suggestion above to propose to put into your development queue a possibility to copy data with header titles. it would help a bunch a scientist like me.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

where are you copy/pasting your data from?

(sorry, just trying to get my head around the use-case).

this has probably become our most request feature, so it shouldn't be too far away.

cheers
bbreeze25

Post by bbreeze25 »

Hi Jonathon,
is there a way to copy data with headers from excel? or have i missed it?
thank you
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

oh sorry, no, we don't support this at the moment.

but i'm curious to hear about the situations where people want to use it.

cheers

jonathon
Wake

Post by Wake »

Since Excel is far better than jamovi at manipulating data (and rightly so, since it's a dedicated spreadsheet package) then new variables created using functions that don't exist in jamovi need to be created elsewhere.

In SPSS you can copy and paste just the variable names and, from version 25, you can paste data with variable names attached (this is a feature I've only recently discovered since I've stuck to SPSS 24 for stability reasons).

For some use cases, you can export the data from jamovi, add the calculated variables in Excel and then import the data, along with the new variables, back into jamovi. This seems to work fine, and I'm happy with naming small numbers of variables manually (as when I save factor scores to csv).

Cheers,

Wake
abhtony

Post by abhtony »

Hi,

Just wanted to mention how this doesn't seem to be addressed yet. I have 2 tests, with 98 and 101 questions respectively. So I want my columns to be called something like "T1Q1" to "T1Q98" and then the next set of columns be named from "T2Q1" to T2Q101".

I can do this on Excel quite easily, but I can't seem to find a way to just copy paste this into Jamovi :(

I can save the excel file into .csv and then import that into Jamovi, but then I lose all of the rest of my data in the set. Then I was hoping copy pasting columns within two Jamovi files would work but that doesn't really seem to work either in that the variable titles are all wrong.

Hopefully this gets implemented soon...?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

I can save the excel file into .csv and then import that into Jamovi, but then I lose all of the rest of my data in the set.
talk me through what you mean by this.

cheers

jonathon
Albänska

Post by Albänska »

I also get this issue. If I have an open .omv file in Jamovi and import a .csv file into the open .omv the present data in the columns gets deleted (in the open .omv file). The data from the .csv file complete with column titles gets in however. So it is still a timesaver for me to work around this issue by making a duplicate of the .omv beforehand and open the duplicate to copy the data back in to the newly emptied columns.

I am not sure if getting this issue has something to do with the fact that I the same ID-column in both files because the only data left in the original .omv file and left out from the import is my identical ID-column.