Help editing downloaded data

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
alexandrar9

Help editing downloaded data

Post by alexandrar9 »

Hi,

I would really appreciate some help figuring out how to analyse my data. I have downloaded a dataset from Qualtrics into jamovi. The questions were answered using a 3 point likert scale but instead of just the score showing in each box, the score and text is displayed (e.g. 0 = Not relevant). As such, the datatype is displayed as text and i cant seem to define the levels or analyse the data. I just want the scores displaying under the variable and then i can define them under levels, but when i try and do it manually all the data just disappears.

Hopefully you can help before i start the mission of editing every piece of data for every single participant!
MAgojam

Re: Help editing downloaded data

Post by MAgojam »

Hi, @ alexandrar9.

You can select one or more variables that have the same nominal coding as the levels and transform them into new variables with just the scores or whatever you prefer, with Data-> Trasform.
You can take a look at the attached screenshot, which does this with data that may be similar to yours.
Trasformed.PNG
Trasformed.PNG (77.16 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
To learn more, I suggest you also look here:
https://blog.jamovi.org/2018/10/23/tran ... ables.html

Cheers,
Maurizio
alexandrar9

Post by alexandrar9 »

Picture2.png
Picture2.png (91.16 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Thank you so much for your fast reply.

I have managed to transform scores 1, 2 and 3 but for 0=not relevant, it wont take in the new transformed variable column. I cant figure out why it will work for the others but not 0. I have attached a photo, do you have any ideas?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

at a guess, the '0 = Not relevant' doesn't perfectly match the value in the column, but i'd need to see the data to see exactly what's going on here.

you could just remove the "$source == 'Not relevant'" condition, and use the "else use 0" instead.

having said all that, i think if you export the data from qualtrics using the SPSS .sav file format, all this stuff will come through correctly, and you won't need to worry about transforming variables. take a look at wake's qualtrics to jamovi slides:

https://moryscarter.com/vespr/

you'll find a link there to "Opening Qualtrics Data Files"

cheers

jonathon
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

alexandrar9 wrote:I have attached a photo, do you have any ideas?
Hi, @ alexandrar9.

In your screenshot, I seem to see that you have not completed the sequence for the transformation, because the else use is empty.
You don't have to recall the last level of the sequence as for the other IFs, but just insert the value of the transformation in else use.

It should look like this:

Code: Select all

If $source  ==  '3 = Prefer not to say'  use 3
If $source  ==  '2 = Very relevant'      use 2
If $source  ==  '1 = Somewhere relevant' use 1
else use  0
Cheers,
Maurizio