Jamovi wont open

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
17017LM

Jamovi wont open

Post by 17017LM »

please help!
i have to use jamovi for my masters assignments and it will just not open. I have checked the windows is correct and installed it but every time i try to open the software it just fails and brings up the same error message,
"An unexpected error has occurred and jamovi must shut down. Unable to connect to the server.
SyntaxError:Failed to execute 'open' on 'XMLHttpRequest'; invalid URL Sorry for the inconvenience"

Can anyone help...please

Thank you

Liz
jonathon

Re: Jamovi wont open

Post by jonathon »

hi liz,

we've not seen this error before. to figure out what's going on, we'll probably need to get access to your computer with something like teamviewer. drop us a line at contact <at> jamovi.org if that would be possible.

in the short-term, it might be easier to see if you can use a different computer. whatever the issue is, it's very rare, and you shouldn't experience it on a different computer.

jonathon
marta.boteller

Post by marta.boteller »

Dear Jamovi support team,

We are considering to use Jamovi for our students at the Universitat de Vic - UCC, Spain and we have seen the same error described here.
Will be waiting for your post in order to try to solve this.

Thank you
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi marta,

i don't think there's much we can do here. we think this is a case of windows mis-behaving. we don't think this affects more than 1 in 300 computers, so it's unlikely to be an issue for more than one or two of your users (and there's a very good chance it won't affect any).

it's an unfortunate reality of developing software for windows, that there just are some computers that misbehave, and there's no clear solution (it's something i've encountered in other software projects too, and one's with much bigger budgets).

medium term, we're developing the web-based version of jamovi, which side-steps this whole issue, but that's still a few months away.

cheers

jonathon
marta.boteller

Post by marta.boteller »

Thank you Jonathon,

Unfortunatelly this error has been observed in all the computers tested (please find it uploaded here).
We will have to wait until the web version is ready.

Thank you,

Regards
Attachments
JamoviError.png
JamoviError.png (23.09 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi marta,

if this is something happening on multiple computers, then it's probably not the 1 in 300 issue. i'll look into it. if you have time, can you drop us a line at contact <at> jamovi.org and we should be able to investigate what's going on here.

with thanks
Zamzam

Post by Zamzam »

Hi !
Has a solution to this problem been found?
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi zamzam,

it's quite a rare issue, and it seems to be a problem with windows. we just recommend using a different computer.

unless it affects a number of computers (in which case it's probably a different issue), and then we'd be keen to look into it.

cheers

jonathon
byrdnick

Post by byrdnick »

I am getting a similar error every time I try to open a colleagues' Jamovi files (on latest version of macOS).

"Connection failed. Unable to connect to the server"

Selecting "Refresh" just repeats the error.

(I am connected to the network.)

Update: installing the latest "current" version of Jamovi form the website solved this.
Last edited by byrdnick on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

hi byrdnick,

can you start a new thread? this one is over 12 months old.

with thanks