Categorical moderators in meta-analysis (MAJOR)

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
simon_knight

Categorical moderators in meta-analysis (MAJOR)

Post by simon_knight »

Hi,

I have just stumbled across Jamovi whilst looking for some easy-to-use software for teaching meta-analysis. I usually use R and the meta-analysis package. It looks great and is working well for what I need.

One issue that I have found is in trying to sasign a categorical moderator for subgroup analysis. I can create a moderator column with nominal text values for the subgroups, but when I come to meta-analysis with MAJOR, it only allows me to select a continuous data column for the moderator.

Seems like it should be possible, as in the analysis section I can choose a categorical moderator type?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Simon
MAgojam

Re: Categorical moderators in meta-analysis (MAJOR)

Post by MAgojam »

simon_knight wrote:I can create a moderator column with nominal text values for the subgroups, but when I come to meta-analysis with MAJOR, it only allows me to select a continuous data column for the moderator.
Hi Simon,
you can take a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=316#p1301

as you have seen the problem is known, but even if the MAJOR module is in the jamovi library, unfortunately Kyle has not been able to finish the job yet.
Even if the input indicates a continuous value, you can pass it a nominal (integer) variable that will be accepted.
He does not accept it if it is nominal text.
At the moment it is a problem to code with values such as 0, 1, 2, 3 etc ... and put a label on the level, to continue?

Cheers,
Maurizio
grahamnichol

Post by grahamnichol »

Have used MAJOR before and found the software to generally be easy, useful.

Trying to use 'moderator' variable for first time.

I have coded as nominal, integer, with levels of 0 or 1

But it does not work

?
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

Hey @grahamnichol,
are you using the latest MAJOR v1.2.3?

If you want I can take a look at your .omv file (even with made up data) to see the error.
If necessary, I can intervene on the code of MAJOR.

Cheers,
Maurizio