Jamovi Lite (Education / teacher use)

Everything related to development of the jamovi platform
MrGPG

Jamovi Lite (Education / teacher use)

Post by MrGPG »

Hi

Forgive what might either be an "obvious" question and I'm missing something, or a rabbit hole that I've fallen down.

I am a "teacher - trainer" here in the UK. I am working on introducing Jamovi into use in class for teachers to quickly analyse / visualize data. But I want to limit the UI so that they can only undertake one kind on analysis -- notably Independent Samples T-test - with specific criteria.

Use Welch's
Effect Size (no CI)
Hypothesis: Group 1 ≠ Group 2
Descriptives + Descriptives Plots
Missing values - exclude cases analysis by analysis

Question 1:
Is it possible to customize the menu items / UI in desktop Windows Jamovi (do I need to build from scratch ??) to remove unwanted components?

Question 2:
Can I set the default values in the T-test (and prevent them from changing)?

Q1 and Q2 are to force / limit my teachers to one test only (t-test). Long story why this is the case, but it essentially boils down to a combination of accessibility (moving from Excel), comfort with stats (limited to low) and the hard sell that they need to undertake "proper" stats.

Bonus requirements
1 - Is it possible to remove the "median" from the plots
2 - To complete multiple independent t-tests (same dependent variable, multiple grouping variables) - calculate the stats and plot the outcomes as a combined chart -- on a common Y-scale --- so that teachers can see the impact of anlaysing by different groups (say test scores against sex, index of poverty and literacy levels. I dont want anything as complex as ANOVA etc -- this is as basic as it gets)

(2) above would be perfect as it would literally be possible to cut / paste data from Excel. Name the columns / set data types and "go".

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Glen
reason180

Re: Jamovi Lite (Education / teacher use)

Post by reason180 »

@MrGPG
I'm pretty sure that to do any of those things would need to use your programming skills to take advantage of jamovi's open-source nature and create your own version of jamovi. jamovi in its current form doesn't provide options to customize in the way you've described. Another option (again requiring your programming skills) might be to create your own jamovi module containing deliberately-restricted analyses, and instruct your instructors to only use the analyses contained in that module.

Honestly, if you want to have such strict limitations, you might do better to just have your teachers use some sort of Welch's t test web app ( Example: https://www.statology.org/welchs-t-test-calculator ) and have students use graph paper to plot the means.
reason180

Post by reason180 »

Or you could just provide users with a jamovi file in which the appropriate analysis is already done, such that to perform a new analysis all they have to do is paste different data into jamovi's spreadsheet. See attached.
Run Welch by simply pasting data.png
Run Welch by simply pasting data.png (48.72 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
Attachments
Welch t (paste new data into the two existing columns).omv
(14.89 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
MrGPG

Post by MrGPG »

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

Teachers maintain their own "data" in Excel and currently perform limited "means" analysis. The use of t.tests in Excel requires the data to be presented as "groups" as opposed to a list with a separate column for the group data. This means that analysing data against multiple seperate groups is complex - normally requiring resorting the data between each analysis. Which has the consequence that building a live sheet with t-tests / effect sizes becomes far too complex. Now Excel array formula sort this, but the construction is too complex for most / nearly all to bother with.

What I was looking for was a tool that allowed "cut / paste" straight from Excel - that allowed this analysis.

Jamovi does that - and works well. But the feedback I constantly keep getting is that after colleagues have click on the WRONG analysis, that they get "lost" in the application --- I know, I know.....

When I demo doing this in Jamovi (or Minitab) the group loves it - but when left to their own devices, get overly bothered by things that they shouldn't be worried about.

As a half way, would be happy to remove the FACTOR, FREQUENCIES and REGRESSION buttons ---> this would get me half way there....

Cheers
Glen
MrGPG

Post by MrGPG »

Hi - for clarity -- this is just for "teachers" -- to analyse student data.
MrGPG

Post by MrGPG »

Hi

It just dawned on me --- is there any way to edit the JMV module?

Happy to build from source if needed.

G
reason180

Post by reason180 »

@MrGPG

I believe that what you want is here: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi
Good luck.