Exporting data in SPSS format

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
PeteD

Exporting data in SPSS format

Post by PeteD »

Hi all

When I try to export a data file in SPSS (.sav) format, I get a message saying the file name contains an illegal character. (See attachment.)

I can export the same file as .csv, and I can save the .omi file without similar errors using the same file name.

And I get the same error message whatever file name I use (even just the single character "a").

Any thoughts?

P.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (43.06 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
jonathon

Re: Exporting data in SPSS format

Post by jonathon »

yeah, we need to improve this error message, or handle it better. the error message actually refers to your column names. you've got a column name which isn't supported by the .sav file format.

cheers

jonathon
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

Hi, PeteD.

If you used the hyphen as a union in the name of your variable (s) (as you did in the file name), you must remove it or replace it with another character (for example the underline).
In SPSS, the hyphen (and other) is not appreciated in the name of the variables and for this reason, jamovi sends you this message when you try to export the file in the format (.sav).

Cheers,
Maurizio
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Yes, the *variable names* were the problem, *not* the file name as the error message stated. There was no issue with the file name.

Easy to fix when the error message points to the correct place! All good now.

P.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

> *not* the file name as the error message stated

to be fair, the error message never mentioned the file name :)

this error message is thrown up by the readstat library ... but we need to wrap it and ensure it makes sense in the context of saving a file.

cheers

jonathon