Installation in S Mode?

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
jperillo

Installation in S Mode?

Post by jperillo »

I have a student who told me they are unable to install jamovi, because their computer is in S Mode. Apparently that only allows them to download apps from the Microsoft app store, and it cannot be re-enabled after it is disabled (so they cannot simply turn it off to get jamovi installed). Is there a workaround that I'm not familiar with (I'm a Mac user instead)? Unfortunately, the cloud version does not include some of the modules we use for the class.

Thanks.
jonathon

Re: Installation in S Mode?

Post by jonathon »

hi,

this S Mode is new to me. you sure they're not just telling you porkies to get out of doing homework?

jonathon
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

Hey Jonathon, dear friend.
I wanted to hint to you in SLACK about this, but I take this message as an opportunity to do so here, even if it's a little OT.
I would say @jperillo's students are definitely people who don't look for shortcuts ...
It was originally called "Windows 10 S" and was later renamed "S mode" in 2018 due to consumer confusion.
As MS says,
"Windows 10/11 in S mode is a security and performance optimized version of Windows 10/11 while offering the familiar Windows experience. To enhance security, it only allows apps from the Microsoft Store and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing".

Windows 10 S mode is Windows 10 itself, but with restrictions. If the Windows 10 Pro in S mode user exits, they will get a normal fully functional Windows 10 Pro that is upgradeable.
No comment...

Cheers,
Maurizio
jperillo

Post by jperillo »

It was new to me as well, but as Maurizio said, this is a 'new' version of Windows operating systems and comes installed as the default for some computers now (so I imagine this will become more and more of an issue). I cannot tell my students to permanently change their operating systems (as much I may want to), since the switch off of S mode is not reversible.
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

righto.

longer term, we'll solve this issue with the cloud version. ... but we don't have a solution for needing the cloud version *and* modules at this time, sorry :/

jonathon
jperillo

Post by jperillo »

Okay, thanks. I was afraid cloud was going to be the only option. We'll work it out!
reason180

Post by reason180 »

I suppose you can't tell them to "permanently change their operating systems," but presumably you can you tell them that "to use the software required for the course, students must have access to a computer that is running Linux, MacOS (not an iPad), or Windows (not Windows running in S mode)."