Jamovi will not open

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
lexiemccown

Jamovi will not open

Post by lexiemccown »

I downloaded this thing about 5 different times and every single time I try to open it I get the same pop-up "Jamovi is already installed," and when I click "okay" on the message it just doesn't open. The message closes and so does Jamovi even though it didn't even open. That's it. I'm so incredibly frustrated and need help ASAP, thanks.
jonathon

Re: Jamovi will not open

Post by jonathon »

hi,

on windows, when you download a program from the internet, you usually get a file called blah-blah-setup.exe ... this is the *installer*. running this *installs* the program. after installing the program, if you run this a second time, it will tell you (quite correctly) that the program is already installed.

having installed the program, you now want to *run* the program. the installer typically creates an entry in the windows "start menu" (the bottom left menu on windows). if you open the start menu, you'll find an entry with the program name (in our case, that would be jamovi) and clicking this will start the program.

what i've described here is not unique to jamovi ... and is how software has worked for the past 20 years or so ... but i appreciate if you've only used app stores in the past, you may never have needed to do this before.

cheers

jonathon