install left/right arrow icons in the Data/Setup view?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
fergusond

install left/right arrow icons in the Data/Setup view?

Post by fergusond »

When I meet with students on Zoom, I ask them to scroll the variables sideways to reveal the coding (so I can teach them how they can assign measurement levels or see what questions were used in a sample survey). But they struggle to understand where the controls are. Then we wonder why the up arrow is an easily-understood, bold, stylized arrow in a circle but the sideways arrows are just relatively nondescript < > symbols that the user must figure out. (They are easy to see once you know, but not so much before that.)

I usually have to talk them around the screen they're sharing with me on Zoom, "No, go down, to the right, under that nice looking up arrow in a circle. That's the right arrow to scroll right." Today I made a student laugh with my remark "if they don't have time to use real icons for left and right, I wonder why they didn't just save time and use a shift-6 (caret symbol) instead of a nice-looking up arrow icon."

I know it's a very, very minor complaint, but so easily fixed in the next release. Thanks for listening to my little screed.
reason180

Re: install left/right arrow icons in the Data/Setup view?

Post by reason180 »

How about just telling students:

". . . the arrow that looks like a 'less-than' symbol,"
and
". . . the arrow that looks like a 'greater-than' symbol"?