Feature request: decimal log in logistic regression

Everything related to the development of modules in jamovi
Arnaud Mortier

Feature request: decimal log in logistic regression

Post by Arnaud Mortier »

Hi,

I would like to argue that it would be a great feature to be able to tick a box to turn the Estimates in logistic regression into decimal log mode rather than natural log.
The point is that when teaching to students in Psychology, Human Sciences or any other "applied only" field, you can reasonably explain how the decimal log works, how it represents the order of magnitude of the input number, as in "roughly the amount of digits it has", and why it's an appropriate concept when you consider ratios, especially when there was no particular reason to look at a/b rather than b/a (log sees 0.01 and 100 both as far apart from a perfect balance).
Right now I do exactly that, but in the end I have to pull out a rabbit from my hat, saying that the Estimates given by the software have to be divided by 2.3 (not gonna say ln(10)), so it feels unsatisfying from the students' point of view.

As a mathematician I understand of course why the natural log is, indeed, natural, but this is for reasons that won't be heard by students from purely applied areas.

Thanks.
All the best,
Arnaud