Macbook M2 CPU

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
mata_hari

Macbook M2 CPU

Post by mata_hari »

Hi,
I have to change my old laptop and I'm considering to buy a macbook with M2 CPU.
Is jamovi supported?
I also heard about some issues with GAMj mixed models or other packages. Is anything changed?
Many thanks for helping,
M.
jonathon

Re: Macbook M2 CPU

Post by jonathon »

hi,

there are no issues with jamovi on apple arm cpus ... i develop jamovi on a laptop with an M1 cpu.

jonathon
reason180

Post by reason180 »

Has this Mac-incompatibility been solved? . . .

I've been telling my students: "At least through jamovi version 2.2.2 there has been a bug in the Mac version: If you're downloading an existing jamovi file that has been posted on Canvas (for example), you have to follow the steps, below:
Step 1: Download the jamovi file to your computer
Step 2: Open jamovi
Step 3: Use the "Open" function on the jamovi menu to open the file.
Any other method is likely to fail and/or generate an error message."
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

we think that's actually a bug in macOS ... but apple unfortunately aren't a company you can ask why things don't work (funny when you think about it ...)

jonathon
reason180

Post by reason180 »

OK. I should change the language to say

"At least through jamovi version 2.3.24 there's been an incompatibility with the macOS operating system. On a Mac, after you've downloaded an existing jamovi file (that has been posted on Canvas, for example), you have to follow the steps, below:
Step 1: Download the jamovi file to your computer
Step 2: Open jamovi
Step 3: Use the "Open" function on the jamovi menu to open the file.
Any other method is likely to fail and/or generate an error message."
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

under macOS, you can right click on a .omv file, select "get info". in that dialog there's a drop down for "open with", select jamovi from that list (you may need to click "other" and then navigate to it). once selected in the list, you can click the "change all ..." which associates all .omv files with jamovi, and they will open by double clicking them.

but addressing the original poster's concern, there is no compatibility issues with M1 or M2 macs and jamovi.

jonathon
reason180

Post by reason180 »

Thanks. That should work for students who are using their own Mac computer. But wonder if it may not work on Macs that are part of a public computing lab.