beta regression in jamovi?

Discuss statistics related things
N1X3L

beta regression in jamovi?

Post by N1X3L »

Is jamovi able to model beta-distributed dependent variables, e.g., rates and proportions? I looked in both the base jmv and the GAMLj module, but couldn't find the option. I then searched for the solution on these forums, but the search terms are ignored because the words "beta regression" are too common for the query to run. Thank you for reading!
mcfanda@gmail.com

Re: beta regression in jamovi?

Post by mcfanda@gmail.com »

Yes, you're right. At the moment beta-distribution regression is not available in jamovi. We would be happy to implement it in GAMLj, but please let us know what applications you foresee for this particular application.
N1X3L

Post by N1X3L »

Thank you for replying! I can't speak for how others might use it, but I can give you an example of how I would. Sometimes I model the height of animals in trees. In a complete data set, the height of the animal and the tree is available, so then the exact animal height can be modelled while tree height is treated as a covariate. However, some incomplete or older data sets have only the ratio of animal heights in trees. It would be useful to model these beta-distributed ratios of animal heights in trees, especially for older data sets were the forest is long gone and the animals are no more.
mcfanda@gmail.com

Post by mcfanda@gmail.com »

Yes, you have a case. Beta regression will be in GAMLj 3.0, coming out soon (a few weeks)
N1X3L

Post by N1X3L »

Very glad to hear it! Thank you for continuing to develop GAMLj; it has been of great use to my research.