What can jamovi do that SPSS cannot?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
Frank.M.LoSchiavo

What can jamovi do that SPSS cannot?

Post by Frank.M.LoSchiavo »

Hi. Quick question...Someone recently asked me which statistical techniques jamovi has that SPSS does not. Are there any examples off the top of your collective heads? One example that comes to my mind is the add-on for the one-sample z-test (ztestvis). Are there other examples, particularly examples that might exist in jamovi's base install? Thank you in advance!

FML
Bobafett

Re: What can jamovi do that SPSS cannot?

Post by Bobafett »

Whilst there are undoubtedly the odd statistical test (or rather test options) here and there that jamovi offers over and above SPSS, it is my personal view that the major difference/benefit stems from the more elegant interface it possesses. Gone are the days of analyses/options being buried in a succession of sub-menus, no more hunting through different windows to find your analysis output, being able to change the settings for the analysis on-the-fly and see it reflect this dynamically (even long after doing the original analysis) makes it a much better tool with which to teach students statistics - as opposed to the quirks of a particular statistical programme...
reason180

Post by reason180 »

If I run a two-by-two factorial ANOVA in jamovi, I can get six post-hoc tests testing each mean against each of the others. The last time I checked, SPSS could not do that. The only post-hoc tests SPSS could do pertained differences across levels of a factor that have ben averaged across the levels of the other factor. That is, SPSS could not do post-hoc tests pertaining to ANOVA interactions.
derrickshirey

Post by derrickshirey »

Frank.M.LoSchiavo wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:40 pm Hi. Quick question...Someone recently asked me which statistical techniques jamovi has that SPSS does not. Are there any examples off the top of your collective heads? One example that comes to my mind is the add-on for the one-sample z-test (ztestvis). Are there other examples, particularly examples that might exist in jamovi's base install? Thank you in advance!

FML
I investigated to see if it was the Kaiser normalization. It is not the case. When it is turned off, the findings rarely alter and remain significantly distinct from Jamovi. I ran the same EFA in R with Kaiser normalization and specified 14 factors, and things don’t align there with SPSS either.

bloxorz
alancai1974

Post by alancai1974 »

For me, the most important feature of Jamovi is that you can save the setting of your analysis. Later on, you can modify it to do further analysis. This is something missing in the traditional packages like SPSS. You basically need to setup your analysis again and again, each time you run the software.
bekean23

Post by bekean23 »

In traditional software packages like SPSS, users often need to set up their analyses anew each time they run the software or want to perform similar analyses on different datasets. This can be time-consuming and prone to errors. Jamovi's capability to save fnf analysis settings streamlines the process, improves workflow efficiency, and reduces the chances of overlooking important analysis specifications.