Why do we use softwares like R that include coding rather than simpler softwares like Jamovi?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
yebar16037

Why do we use softwares like R that include coding rather than simpler softwares like Jamovi?

Post by yebar16037 »

I'm still new to data analysis, the tool I used to learn was Jamovi, which was quite simple amd straightforward to use. I then wanted to broaden my horizons and started learning programming in R, still a complete noobie on that though. My question is, is there a reason we prefer coding? Jamovi seems much more simple and convenient, why not use that? Though, there are some instances where coding is involved in Jamovi, so I'm curious to know why coding is important https://tutuappx.com/ Vidmate
Last edited by yebar16037 on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
patc3

Re: Why do we use softwares like R that include coding rather than simpler softwares like Jamovi?

Post by patc3 »

I guess depends what you want to do.. once you get the hang of it, data preparation and manipulation is much faster easier and flexible in R directly, also jamovi doesn't do every possible analysis that R can do (one example off the top of my head: latent transition profiles)..

if your data are already ready and all you're doing is descriptive statistics and regression and whatever else jamovi has to offer, then sure, jamovi is a very nice, natural, friendlier choice than R