What does the error bars on the bar plot represent?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
statisticbaby

What does the error bars on the bar plot represent?

Post by statisticbaby »

I'm a bit new to statistics. I've seen some old threads before, but I'm curious about the version 2.3.26 of Jamovi.

What do the error bars in the table i see when I click the bar plot in the plots section of the Descriptives?

Does it mean ''standard error of mean''?

Attachments
Ekran Resmi 2023-08-21 11.20.24.png
Ekran Resmi 2023-08-21 11.20.24.png (72.58 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Bobafett

Re: What does the error bars on the bar plot represent?

Post by Bobafett »

The size of the error bars do not seem to correspond to either the SD or SE values in your table, and so they are most likely 95% CI (this is the default setting for t-tests and ANOVA). Re-run your descriptives with the 95% CI option ticked and you'll probably see these match up...
statisticbaby

Post by statisticbaby »

Bobafett wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:37 am The size of the error bars do not seem to correspond to either the SD or SE values in your table, and so they are most likely 95% CI (this is the default setting for t-tests and ANOVA). Re-run your descriptives with the 95% CI option ticked and you'll probably see these match up...
Thanks for your detailed answer.

Do you know how I can use standard deviation or standard error in bar plot instead of this default setting in Jamovi?
statisticbaby

Post by statisticbaby »

And also, when I evaluate my datas, I don't think it's 95% CI.
Ekran Resmi 2023-08-21 13.43.27.png
Ekran Resmi 2023-08-21 13.43.27.png (83.87 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Bobafett

Post by Bobafett »

[/quote]
Do you know how I can use standard deviation or standard error in bar plot instead of this default setting in Jamovi?
[/quote]

You don't have the option of choosing the source of the error bars in the 'Descriptives' route - but if you were to choose a oneway ANOVA or RM ANOVA then under the 'marginal means' option the plot is an error bar and you get the option of selecting none, SE or 95% CI for this function.

If the error bars in the plot under 'descriptives' are not 95% CI, then I'm not sure what they are. Visual inspection suggests it is none of those measures oddly enough, so something must be amiss. Might best to see if this catches the eye of Jonathon - he (and the others) usually reply to queries pretty much every day,
statisticbaby

Post by statisticbaby »

Thanks your answer, i hope Jonathon or someone else can answer.
reason180

Post by reason180 »

They appear to be standard error (SE) bars: Each error bar ranges from one SE below the mean to one SE above the mean.
reason180

Post by reason180 »

? ? ?
it allows researchers to comprehend how changes in independent variables affect the average values of the dependent variable, holding other factors constant.