urgent - variables likert to ordinal

General help and assistance with jamovi. Bug reports can be made at our issues page: https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/issues . (If you're unsure feel free to discuss it here)
ilovestatistics

urgent - variables likert to ordinal

Post by ilovestatistics »

Hi team,

A silly question but I've been battling this for a while.

I have data from excel that is from a 1-5 Likert Scale.

I have imported it into Jamovi, which treats it as ordinal data, and I have converted the levels from the text to the 1-5 levels.

When the levels have been assigned the corresponding number, Jamovi has placed a double apostrophe around this. So when I try and change this data to continuous or even ordinal decimal so I can run a 2 x 2 mixed ANOVA, Jamovi is treating this as text, rather than numbers and wont let me run the analysis.

I have re-typed some of the cells, omitting the double apostrophe and have no issues in converting the variable type. How do I get rid of these apostrophes automatically?
jonathon

Re: urgent - variables likert to ordinal

Post by jonathon »

i'm not quite sure what you mean by the double apostrophes, but if you need to convert a column of text values to numeric, you can use a transform:

https://blog.jamovi.org/2018/10/23/tran ... ables.html

cheers
MAgojam

Re: urgent - variables likert to ordinal

Post by MAgojam »

Hey @ilovestatistics,
like Jonathon, I'm also a little perplexed about the presence of numbers between double apostrophes.
Have you perhaps replaced the text data of the levels with the numbers "1" to "5", instead of 1 to 5?
Make sure that these numerical levels are not between double apostrophes, so you can transform into a new numerical variable, not by acting on the Data type, but by calling Transform on your variable of interest and with the VALUE($source) function and the Measure type you will have the new variable you need.
If not, come back...

Cheers,
Maurizio