Output syntax for computed/transformed variables?

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
Mindspace

Output syntax for computed/transformed variables?

Post by Mindspace »

I have been teaching with Jamovi for the past few years and my students absolutely love it.

One question that came up, however, is whether there is a way to show the syntax for computing and transforming variables in the data menu. This was asked in the context of preregistered analyses, where the full syntax is needed so that anyone can reproduce the results with the data.

Enabling syntax mode is great for showing the commands needed to reproduce the analyses themselves, but is there a way to also output the syntax of any actions that are taken from the Data menu?

Thanks for all your work!
reason180

Re: Output syntax for computed/transformed variables?

Post by reason180 »

A couple of opinions:

First, if jamovi has been used to compute/transform the variables, then anybody can reproduce analyses by simply opening the jamovi (omv) file. So I'm not sure I see a principled reason why a reviewer or editor would demand to have a R-code-translation of jamovi's computation/transformation (Does jamovi even use R for that purpose? Or does it use Python?).

Second, for practical reasons (including data portability across multiple platforms--not just jamovi), I've adopted the practice of using R (e.g., with R studio) to do all of the variable computation/transformation *prior* to loading the data into jamovi. This of-course means that I can make the R code available to anyone who wants to see it.
MAgojam

Post by MAgojam »

reason180 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:02 pm computation/transformation (Does jamovi even use R for that purpose? Or does it use Python?).
Hey @reason180,
just because she asked, you can take a look here and you have confirmation that Python works:
https://github.com/jamovi/jamovi/blob/c ... nctions.py

Cheers,
Maurizio
reason180

Post by reason180 »

Thanks!
reason180

Post by reason180 »

'Someone' should invent a simpler-than-dplyr r package, such that Rj+ can be used recode data just as easily as jamovi's python-based syntax does.