Importing Qualtrics Data Files into jamovi

Discuss the jamovi platform, possible improvements, etc.
Wake

Post by Wake »

Hi all,

Today I've been working on my first step-by-step jamovi resource.

Please let me know here if you have any comments.

Best wishes,

Wakefield
jonathon

Re: Importing Qualtrics Data Files into jamovi

Post by jonathon »

hi wake,

this looks great!

a couple of suggestions:

1. maybe say 'Open in jamovi 0.9.6.9 *or newer*'

in the qualtrix ui:
re: Use legacy View Results option ... i gather this option gives better results, but what's the difference?
re: Compress data as .zip ... can you send us one of these files? we may be able to have jamovi open zipped files too

2. in the 'Change V5 to nominal' panel, there's not a lot of context here as to why V5 is continuous (or of data type 'text'), or why it needs to be changed, etc. which is fine if this is accompanying a talk, but makes it less valueable as a standalone resource (or are there additional notes somewhere that aren't visible in google docs?).

3. in the 'export template and data' slide, you've got ctrl+A to select all variables. on a mac, this will be cmd+A. (this step will also be unnecessary in 0.9.6.10)

4. exporting to .csv ... i'm introducing a change in 0.9.6.10 where filtered rows won't be exported to the .csv file. so you can simplify that 'open in excel' process. additionally, you don't *need* to save a template file. you could do the following:

introduce a filter: V5 != '1'
export that as a .csv file
import that .csv file back into the currently open file that you just exported

re: 'inspect for cases with lots of missing data', ideally this would be done with a filter, and so would automatically exclude cases in future data sets as well. but i don't know if this would be impractical with our current formula system. would like to hear your thoughts.

otherwise, looking good!

jonathon
Wake

Post by Wake »

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for taking a look.

I've added some context about the finished variable to slide 7.

However, there's no need to say 0.9.6.9 or later because when the next version is released I'll be doing a major edit of the slides and then saying 0.9.6.10 or later.

At some point I need to look into the differences between legacy and default data files. However, I think one reason I use legacy is because descriptive "questions" (i.e. questions without a question) appear as a column of 1s in the legacy data file if they are seen and are omitted from the default data file. This information can be important for experimental manipulations (e.g. which image was displayed above the question).

I'll send you two compressed data files -- one legacy and one default.

Finally, if I understand you correctly, importing data into a jamovi file will replace the existing data, so saving templates isn't needed for this form of data juggling.

Cheers,

Wake
jonathon

Post by jonathon »

At some point I need to look into the differences between legacy and default data files. However, I think one reason I use legacy is because descriptive "questions" (i.e. questions without a question) appear as a column of 1s in the legacy data file if they are seen and are omitted from the default data file. This information can be important for experimental manipulations (e.g. which image was displayed above the question).
ah, makes sense. i was under the impression our importer was less than perfect, and that the default data files didn't come through as well, but taking a look, these seem to import fine as well.
Finally, if I understand you correctly, importing data into a jamovi file will replace the existing data, so saving templates isn't needed for this form of data juggling.
yeah, exactly. not sure if you've seen this blog post: https://blog.jamovi.org/2019/03/27/import.html

cheers

jonathon